This document defines the rules of privacy on the Sciendo website operating in the domains www.sciendo.com and www.sciendo.com/services/books-self-publishing (hereinafter referred to as the "Website").
The Website Administrator and the controller of the personal data of the Website Users is DE GRUYTER POLAND sp. z o.o. with its registered office in Warsaw, ul. Bogumiła Zuga 32A, 01-811 Warsaw, registered in the National Court Register kept by the District Court of Warsaw, XIIIth Commercial Division of the National Court Register, under KRS number: 0000055478, NIP (fiscal identification number): 9521878738, REGON (statistical number): 017359274, share capital: PLN 1,905,000.00, hereinafter referred to as the "Administrator".
In all matters relating to the Website, you can contact the Administrator by email at: email@example.com, traditional post at: ul. Bogumiła Zuga 32A, 01-811 Warsaw, or at the telephone number: +48 22 701 50 15.
"GDPR" means in this document Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing of Directive 95/46/ EC (General Data Protection Regulation).
- In the case of registration on the Website, the Administrator collects the following information regarding the Website User (the “User”): name and surname, e-mail address, password, data regarding the published book and its author or editor given when concluding contracts in accordance with the Sciendo Self-Publishing Terms for Books Authors, hereinafter referred to as the "Sciendo Contracts", as well as data regarding the performance of Sciendo Contracts. The said Users' personal data will be processed by the Administrator in order to:
- conclude and perform the Sciendo Contracts (the legal basis for data processing in this respect is article 6 paragraph 1 item b of the GDPR, and the data will be processed by the Administrator for this purpose until the expiry of the limitation period of claims under the Sciendo Contracts),
- keep the Administrator's accounts, enable its tax settlements, pursue possible claims arising from or related to Sciendo Contracts, which is a legitimate interest of the Administrator (the legal basis for data processing in this respect is article 6 paragraph 1 item f of the GDPR, and the data will be processed by the Administrator for this purpose until the expiry of the limitation period of claims under the Sciendo Contracts or expiry of the limitation period of the Administrator’s tax liabilities, whichever is later),
- the Administrator's own services marketing, which is a legitimate interest of the Administrator (the legal basis for data processing in this respect is article 6 paragraph 1 item f of the GDPR, and the data will be processed by the Administrator for this purpose until the User objects or other grounds for their erasure arise).
- In each case (also when using the Website without registration), the Administrator saves information about the parameters of the User's Internet connection, in particular the User's IP address, as well as general demographic information (e.g. on the region from which the connection takes place). This data is processed for technical purposes related to the administration of the Administrator's servers, statistical purposes, for security assurance as well as for the marketing of the Administrator's own services, which is a legitimate interest of the Administrator (the legal basis for data processing in this respect is article 6 paragraph 1 item f of the GDPR, and the data will be processed by the Administrator for five years.
- The Administrator makes a special effort to protect the privacy and information provided to it and regarding Users. The Administrator with due care selects and applies appropriate technical measures, including programming and organizational measures, ensuring protection of the data being processed, in particular protecting data from unauthorized access, disclosure, loss and destruction, unauthorized modification, as well as against their processing in violation of the applicable law.
- The User providing his personal data is voluntary, however, it is necessary to use the services provided in the Sciendo Self-Publishing Terms for Books Authors and the Sciendo Website Terms of Service.
- Personal data collected by the Administrator are processed in accordance with the law. The Users have the right to:
- obtain information whether their personal data are processed by the Administrator, access their personal data and receive a copy of them,
- rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning them and have their incomplete personal data completed,
- obtain from the Administrator the erasure of personal data concerning them if
the personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected, have been unlawfully processed or have to be erased for compliance with a legal obligation in the European Union or a Member State of the European Union law to which the Administrator is subject, as well as in case of raising an objection to the processing of data in such situations and to such extent as indicated in item e below,
- restrict the processing of their data if they are inaccurate, their processing is unlawful, they are no longer necessary to achieve the purpose for which they have been collected, but they are required by the User for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, and for the time of considering the User's objection to the processing of his data due to his particular situation – then the Administrator will be able to process such personal data of the User in a manner other than by storage, only with the consent of the User or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, or for the protection of the rights of another natural or legal person or for reasons of important public interest of the European Union or a Member State of the European Union,
- object to the processing of their personal data:
- for direct marketing purposes, or
- on grounds relating to the User’s particular situation – to the processing of the User's data necessary to perform a task carried out in the public interest or based on a legitimate interest of the Administrator, including profiling within these purposes; in this case, the Administrator shall no longer process the personal data unless it demonstrates compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override the interests, rights and freedoms of the data subject or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims,
- data portability – the Administrator shall transmit to the User, at his request, his personal data which the Administrator processes, in a structured, commonly used machine-readable format or transmit such personal data at the request of the User to another controller indicated by the User,
- lodge a complaint with the competent supervisory authority – the President of the Office for Personal Data Protection (details at: https://uodo.gov.pl/) or another competent authority.
- The User's personal data will be disclosed by the Administrator to Walter de Gruyter GmbH with its registered office in Berlin and companies or partnerships directly or indirectly controlled by the last-mentioned company for the purposes of internal group reporting and marketing of goods and services of the de Gruyter Group companies or partnerships, which is a legitimate interest of the Administrator and such companies or partnerships (the legal basis for data processing in this respect is article 6 paragraph 1 item f of the GDPR, and the data will be processed by the Administrator for this purpose until the User objects or other grounds for their erasure arise).
- The Users’ personal data shall not be transferred outside the European Economic Area or to any international organization.
- The Administrator does not take decisions concerning Users in an automated manner, and in particular does not use profiling.
- The ‘cookies’ files used by the Administrator are safe for the User's devices. In particular, it is not possible to get viruses or other unwanted or malicious software onto the Users' end devices this way. The said files allow the Website to adapt to the individual preferences of each User. ‘Cookies’ files usually contain the name of the domain from which they originate, their storage time on the User's end device and the assigned value.
- The Administrator applies two types of ‘cookies’ files:
- Session ‘cookies’: these are stored on the end device of the User and remain there until the end of a given browser session. The saved information is then permanently erased from the memory of the User's end device. The mechanism of session ‘cookies’ does not allow for the collection of any personal data or any confidential information from the User's end device.
- Persistent ‘cookies’: these are stored on the end device of the User and remain there until they are erased. Ending a given browser session or turning off the device does not erase them from the end device of the User. The mechanism of persistent ‘cookies’ does not allow the collection of any personal data or any confidential information from the device of the User.
- The Administrator uses ‘cookies’ files for the following purposes:
- the Website configuration;
- verification and development of its own offer;
- statistics creation;
The data processing is justified in accordance with Art. 6 Para. 1 letter f) GDPR, as we have a legitimate interest in evaluating the use of our website. If personal data is collected, it will be deleted immediately if it is no longer necessary.
You can object to the storage of a user profile and information about your visit to our website by Hotjar and the setting of Hotjar tracking cookies on our website by clicking on this link and deactivating Hotjar:
The opt-out cookie is only valid in this browser and only for our website and is stored on your device. If you delete the cookies in this browser, you must set the opt-out cookie again.
- We recommend reading the privacy policies of the above-mentioned entities in order to learn the rules of their using ‘cookies’ files.
- ‘Cookies’ files are also used by advertising networks, in particular the Google network, to display advertisements suited to the manner in which the User uses the Website. For this purpose, information about the User's navigation path and the time of staying on a given website is saved.
- In terms of information about the User's preferences collected by the Google advertising network, the User may view and edit information resulting from ‘cookies’ files using the tool: https://www.google.com/ads/preferences/.
- The User may independently and at any time change the ‘cookies’ settings, specifying the conditions for their storage and access to the end device of the User. The User can make the changes to the settings referred to in the previous sentence using the browser settings, usually in the "Tools" or "Options" menu. These settings can be changed in particular in such a way as to block the automatic ‘cookies’ files acceptance in the settings of the browser or inform about their every posting on the User's device. Detailed information about the possibilities and ways of handling ‘cookies’ files are available in the settings of individual browsers. The User can delete ‘cookies’ at any time using the functions available in the browser he uses.
- Restricting the use of ‘cookies’ may affect some of the functionalities of the Website.